If your child is currently in 8th grade, planning to attend Lakewood High in Fall 2017, and wants to play sports, please be aware of the following.
Per CHSAA rules, coaches are restricted in communicating with incoming Freshmen until May 1st. They can speak with athletes and their parents in a group setting, like our recent 8th Grade Open Houses. However, they are not allowed to respond to your calls or emails until May 1st. If you have questions, please contact Athletic Secretary Sharon DeVito at 303-982-7114 or at Sharon.DeVito@jeffco.k12.co.us.
VACATION PLANNING NOTES
- The first official day for Fall sports across the entire state of Colorado is Monday, August 14, 2017, except for Boys Golf which starts August 7th. This is the first day for mandatory practices and tryouts.
- The first day of school for Jeffco is Thursday, August 17, 2017. So this year, sports start before the first day of school.
- Registration for Fall Sports will open up in late July. Come back to this web site this summer for more details.
- Fall Sports consist of Boys Golf, Boys Soccer, Boys Tennis, Cross Country (Boys & Girls); Football, Gymnastics, Softball and Volleyball.
- The one important thing you should do this summer is get a sports physical. Just be sure to keep the paperwork so it’s ready to turn in with your registration materials.
Many sports have summer conditioning and camps.Below is a brief overview of what Lakewood typically offers during the summer. Check back on this web site in May for more specific information.
- Baseball – Tryouts will be held in mid-May for summer leagues for incoming Freshmen. Sign up to receive emails from the Lakewood Tiger Baseball Boosters at email@example.com.
- Basketball (Boys & Girls) – There are summer leagues. Check back for details on tryouts.
- Cheer – Cheer is only open to sophomores, juniors and seniors. Tryouts are held in Spring each year.
- Cross Country – These athletes run several times a week in the mornings during the summer. We will post a schedule in late May. They also have a Facebook page that you can follow.
- Football – Typically has summer conditioning several days a week during the summer, from 6:15-11:00 am, along with a camp in late July, and more practice time the second week of August. Sign-up to receive messages from the Football Boosters at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Boys Golf – No summer program; golfers should join leagues. High school golf starts a week earlier than the other teams, with tryouts the week of August 7th.
- Girls Golf – No summer program. Girls are encouraged to join youth leagues and golf regularly.Girls Golf is a spring sport.
- Gymnastics – Typically has a camp in early August. More details to follow.
- Boys Lacrosse – No information available at this time regarding summer. But there is typically a winter league program to prepare for Spring.
- Mountain Biking Team – Will be riding several times a week. Check back for details.
- Boys Soccer – Typically hosts drop-in kick-arounds two evenings per week during the summer, with a camp the week of August. 7th.
- Girls Soccer – No summer program, but check with the Athletic Secretary for information on an indoor winter soccer league in October.
- Softball – Will host off-season conditioning and practices beginning in June, approximately two mornings per week, and will likely hold a tryout camp the week of August 7th.
- Swim Team (Boys & Girls) – No summer program offered through Lakewood. Swimmers encouraged to join competitive leagues.These are Winter (Girls) & Spring (Boys) sports.
- Boys Tennis – There may be a summer camp in early August. Players are encouraged to join summer leagues.
- Girls Tennis – There is typically no summer program, but there will be off-season conditioning offered in the Fall and Winter.
- Track & Field – No summer program offered, but runners are encouraged to practice with the cross country runners over the summer.
- Volleyball – Typically has drop-in practices and camps throughout the summer. Details to come.
- Wrestling – Typically has off-season conditioning in the Summer and Fall.